Spring is not the time for heavy dishes. This one is filling and nourishing, but light and fresh.
It’s a great salad to make in a big batch and use through the week as it keeps pretty well for a few days. The salad is tasty on its own or as a side dish. It’s a nice addition to a bed of lettuce/greens or as a topping for a cold pasta dish.
The list of ingredients in this dish is pretty short, but each vegetable carries with it an impressive stack of vitamins and minerals. With whole foods, you know what you’re gonna get. No scandals or shady history here. Just straight up health benefits. At this point, I would be pleased to see a vegetable run for President 😉
- Green Lentils: Lovely source of iron and protein
- Carrots: High in antioxidants and linked to cancer prevention as they reduce free radicals in the body
- Cucumber: Chill, hydrates the body and flushes out unnecessary toxins
- Purple Cabbage: Lowers cholesterol and contains an impressive line up of vitamins, minerals, and fiber
- Scallions: Good source of antioxidants and vitamins A, C, and K
The dressing is tried and true:
Juice one lemon, whisk with dijon mustard and a generous pour of olive oil. Add salt and pepper. Whisk away.
Toss the salad ingredients with the dressing. Share with friends 🙂